RE: Differences between "source" RPMsx

Hi, Juha,

     I assume that you're wanting to build custom kernel RPM's.  First
grab the source rpm.  Install it by doing, for example: rpm -i
kernel-2.4.2.1.49.src.rpm
Next, go to /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES.  There you'll find the configuration
files for the different types of kernel.  Edit them to taste.  If it isn't
obvious how to do this, you can let the make program and associated
scripts help you.  Install the source i386 rpm in the same way as above.
cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.  Copy the target config file into .config in the
directory you just entered.  Using your favorite editor, delete the lines
pertaining to the items you want to change.  Then you can do a make
oldconfig.  The script will stop on the lines that concern you.  Just
answer the questions appropriately.  now you're ready to copy the .config
file back to the SOURCE directory.  Example: cp .config
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/kernel-2.4.2-i386.config.  Do this as many times
as necessary until you have all the configuration files modified.  If you
want to be sure that you can always get at this modified version, you
might want to make a source RPM with all your changes.  You can change to
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS.  Run the following command.  rpm --bs
kernel-2.4.spec
The source RPM will be found in /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS.  Now it's time to
build the installable binary rpms.  If you want to build a full set, you
should do: rpm --bb kernel-2.4.spec --target=i386,i586,i686,athlon
This will take some time.  Any questions, call or write.

          HTH.
          Bill in Denver