Re: RedHat 7.1 - ReiserFS update disk

Thiago Vinhas de Moraes wrote:

** This is NOT an official RedHat update disk **

We learned a few tricks since our first reiserfs hack in RedHat 7.0: Now we have been able to add reiserfs support in RedHat 7.1 installation using a single update disk. No need to rebuild the images, just write the floppy and use it with the original cds.

Important information: - RedHat 7.1 ships with lilo 21.4 that doesn't handle ReiserFS partitions. Therefore you MUST create an EXT2 "/boot" partition or your system will not boot. - The 2.4.2 kernel supplied comes with ReiserFS debuging code enabled. For best performance you should recompile your kernel after installation. - This update disk allows Anaconda to upgrade an existing ReiserFS system or to install a new one. It will NOT convert EXT2 partitions to ReiserFS.

A, possibly easier, way is to copy the redhat kernel source somethere. copy the approprate config from linux-2.4.2/configs in place. run make menuconfig and 'de-select' the reiser debug option. run 'make dep modules'. replace /lib/modules/VERSION/kernel/fs/reiser/reiserfs.o with the new one.

You don't have to update the kernel/lilo/etc. all you have to do is reboot.:)

By the way, we are not RedHat employees nor have any affiliation with RedHat. No warranty is provided, use this update disk at your own risk.

Thanks to the RedHat Linux team for their great and flexible installation system!

For more information and the disk image: http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br

Miguel Freitas Marcelo Roberto Jimenez

Center for Telecommunications Studies of PUC-Rio PUC-Rio (Brasil)

Wolverine-list mailing list
Wolverine-list redhat com

Christopher McCrory
chrismcc pricegrabber com

"Linux: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware"