Re: case insensitive ls

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Edward S. Marshall wrote:

>> Why /bin/ls is case insensitive ? As i dont like insensitive, I looked
>> for an option to retrieve case sensitive ls but didn't find some..
>
>It's worse than that, actually; it's ignoring leading periods on filenames
>(when used with '-A' or '-a') so an "ls" comes up sorted very differently
>than previous incarnations.
>
>Who on the fileutils project thought that changing the default output
>semantics of one the most heavily-used commands without a way to restore
>the old behavior was a good idea?

man locale

export LC_COLLATE=C

    Mike A. Harris  -  Linux advocate  -  Free Software advocate
          This message is copyright 2001, all rights reserved.
  Views expressed are my own, not necessarily shared by my employer.
And 1.1.81 is officially BugFree(tm), so if you receive any bug-reports
on it, you know they are just evil lies.
  -- Linus Torvalds