Re: Broken PS/2 detection.

On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 02:29:05PM -0500, Elton Woo wrote:
>                 ... just wondering: at the times you had *no* mouse attached,
> did you
> disable USB support in the BIOS? Seems there are serious bugs with usb
> detection.

It's not even that. The lockup problems are PS/2 related; I'm seeing
the kernel detect PS/2 mice that aren't there, regardless of whether
USB devices are attached. That said, I did disable USB support in the
BIOS, to no effect.

I don't think there are necessarily bugs with USB detection. I think,
at least in the case of 2.2, that PS/2 detection broke around the time
USB was merged, and this brokenness made its way into 2.4. Anaconda
seems to go with the first mouse found, and since it always picks up a
phantom PS/2 mouse on my motherboard, it doesn't bother loading USB
modules.

-ed