Re: Whether to put proftpd instead of wu-ftp (Was: Re: Proftpd)

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 12:36:47PM -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Mate Wierdl wrote:
> >> Changing the core Internet servers is often a shock to users.
> >
> >No need to change; just include proftpd as well (not just in
> >powertools).  And include openftpd.
> Sure, why not.  Why don't we just track down every ftp server,
> and include them all and let the user decide which one they want
> to use?  <grin>

What a horrible idea, indeed.  Imagine this:

User1: I want to install an ftp server I am used to; give me wu-ftpd.

User2: I'd like to install a featureful ftp server which is easy to
       configure; give me proftpd.

User3: I'd like to install the most secure ftp server available; give
       me openftpd.

Or, the more horrifying and completely unreasonable prospects:

User4: I have been using wu-ftpd, but I'd like to experiment with
       proftpd; so I'd like to be able to install both, so that if proftpd
       gives me trouble, I can quickly swith back to wu-ftpd.

User5: I have two interfaces, and I'd like to run proftpd on one, and
       wu-ftpd on the other.