Re: PRINTING: needs work on network attached printers

Hi Crutcher:

Thanks for the reply.  So I need to contribute then to
the Redhat documentation writers?  You see, for most
remote systems, the local system does no pre-filtering,
and lpd sends the raw print job to the remote system.
The remote system does the filter and converts to PCL
if needed, using Ghostscript.

But for network print servers, there is no internal
conversion or filtering at the remote box, just a memory
buffer. So for remote print server network boxes,
pre-filtering MUST be done locally, before sending job.

So in printconf tool, there would obviously need to be
either a choice or a selection for remote vs. local
pre-filtering?  The fact that I was unaware that this
was possible, coupled with the fact that it did not
work when I used the config tool, but did work with
Suse 6.4 on the same machine and network attached printer,
leads me to conclude that while Redhat supports this
capability, we need to tell the users how to do it?
Does anyone in the printing department have an example
of how to configure this?

Are you the printing manager, or can I offer to help
test it, and help document this for the user manual?

Neal Pollack
Los Angeles, CA.  USA