Re: Recent upgrade confusion.

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Kevin Sullivan wrote:

> Matt Drew writes:
> > > have the LD_PRELOAD environment variable set to libavfs.so. I don't
> > > know where it is getting set and I have no clue as to what the
> > > libavfs.so library is from. The library is not provided from an rpm.
> >
> > It's a zip/tar/gzip/etc file viewer:
> >
> > http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/contrib/libc6/i386/avfs-0.2-2.i386.html
> >
> > It isn't in the basic RPM directory for Wolverine (powertools maybe?), so
> > it may be that the upgrade tanked it if you had it previously installed.
> > Another place to look would be the /etc/profile.d directory, and the
> > /etc/profile config file.
>
> Well, I checked out the avfs-0.2.2.i386.rpm and sure enough it is
> installed. It apparently got installed in 1998 at some time. I
> reinstalled it on the idea that obviously something got messed up with
> the installation. I executed ldconfig. However, I still have the same
> problem. I guess I can remove the files /etc/profile.d/avfs.{csh,sh}
> and that will resolve the problem. But, I would like to know why the
> problem exists in the first place. Do I  need to do something besides
> ldconfig?

This is too good an opportunity to pass up.  It's way off topic (sorry
Kevin), but since slashdot posted a few days ago Petreley's simplistic
'apt-get vs. RPM' article I have been bothered by the issues around
upgrading.  As someone who does user support I have a limited tolerance
for upgrade issues and their subsequent problems.  They come back to bite
you *way* too often.

So I actually like the delineation of distribution version numbers so that
I know what I am dealing with.  On a user's workstation upgrades are okay
to me, but not more than one in a row (or 2 in the same major version
number).  For servers it is out of the question, for me.  Which brings me
back to the article and those dudes out there who thing you can just
upgrade the same system forever (if you use apt* of course).  It's a
support issue; it can't be done when you are supporting systems.  I would
like to see improvements in RPM and/or a merging with apt* technology, but
no one technology will solve many of the fundamental suuport issues that
infest all information technologies.  OK, I'll stop ranting now (and sorry
again, Kevin).

Back to your regularly scheduled program..

--
denice.deatrich @ epfl.ch, ADM/SIC, E.P.F.L.   PH: +41 (21) 693 22 53
<*> This moment's fortune cookie: