Re: kernel update problem

Mate Wierdl wrote:

> which is the old kernel version.  The old kernel is nowhere on my
> system.
>
> But now when I run lilo (no flags), all is well after reboot.
>
> So lilo does some magic.  What does it do?

Lilo store the location of the file ON THE DISK.
Just rm'ing the file doesnt empty the disk blocks that
store the file, it just removes the filesystem info
that points to it. That's why e2fs-utils can recover
deleted files (but it's not easy)

When you run lilo, it updates the data on where the kerenl
file is, by following the symlink to the new file.

Just because you don't see the old kerenl with ls,
doesn't mean it's not still on the disk.

And uname gets it's info from the running kernel.
You just cannot see the file that lilo loaded
with ls any more.

	-Thomas