memory leak?

I see something I just cannot explain:

I install wolverine (networked workstation) on my Athlon (600Mhz)
system.  I update the kernel to the one in rawhide to fix the problem
with the tulip driver.  Everything is working very well.  I go home,
come back next morning.  I move the mouse to wake up my screen.  Lots
of trashing of the harddisk, and it takes 3 minutes to log in and for
gnome to start up.