Re: memory leak?

On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 05:50:15PM +0000, Bill Crawford wrote:
>  That actually doesn't sound unusual for a cold start on a machine
> with everything swapped out.  Bear in mind that when xscreensaver or
> xlock have been running for a few hours, _everything_ gets swapped
> out (or paged out, rather) except for the parts of the X server and
> libraries used by the screensavers.  The WM, large parts of X and
> so on all have to be paged back in when you start Netscape up.  I
> am really not surprised by this at all ... I would consider it the
> norm in such a situation.

I do not really understand.  I logged out yesterday, I logged back in
this morning, and from now on everything is running slowly.  Slower
than, say, on my Pentium 120Mhz system with 32M running RH 6.2.

And nothing like this happens on my RH 7.0 boxes (one is PII 210MHz,
96M RAM).

>  Did you try simply restarting X, too, rather than rebooting?

C-A-Backspace is of no help.

>  However it is possible you have some background process taking up a
> lot of CPU cycles and/or disk I/O.  If it happens again, I (and I'm
> sure others on the list) are happy to help get to the bottom of it.
> You might find that updatedb or some such is still running.

It is still happening.

Here is exactly what happened:

I noticed the problem yesterday morning.  I rebooted, and all was
fine.  I come back this morning, and things are slow.

The only noticeable thing I see in top is

  PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
 3098 root      14   0 42140  36M  1948 R     0.1 29.6   0:02 X

This comes in every 30s or so.

>  Remember that both of these are substantial applications.
>
> > After reboot, it takes just a few seconds for these apps to start, and
> > nothing is noticeably slowed down.
>
>  Did you try restarting these _after_ the first time?

Sure.

  PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
 3578 mw        17   0 11864  11M  7136 S    17.8  9.3   0:00 netscape-commun
 3098 root      14   0 42332  36M  1472 S     1.9 29.5   0:03 X

as netscape is starting up.  Second startup time: 27 seconds (I have 128M RAM).

But now I see something: restarting X for the second time, all seems better.
When I see the prob again (tomorrow, I am sure), I'll post `psauxww`.

Mate