Re: Back from locale hell ...

Adrian Havill wrote:

> > And by the way ... what is the correct way
> > to squeeze some german words out of
> > gnome ?? (this worked fine under RH6.2
> > with LC_ALL=de, but not anymore with
> > LC_ALL=C)
>
> Let me clarify: you want German input and/or output with the ASCII
> non-German capable C locale?

Something like that ... YES!  But ... let ME clarify ;-) ... the problem
is that
sort depends on locale settings (is this a new feature or a bug in
glibc 2.2 ??). With LC_ALL=de sort folds lowercase to uppercase
BEFORE sorting. This affects lots of programs, like fileutils, bash ...

example with LC_ALL=de_DE

[root localhost test]# ls
x  X  xa  Xa  XA

another one ... the rebuild of MAKEDEV-3.1.0-8.src.rpm will
fail on things like

%files -n dev
%ghost /dev/log
%attr(0755,root,root) %dir /dev
/dev/[a-km-zA-LN-Z]*
%ifnarch s390 s390x
/dev/l[a-np-z]*
/dev/logi*
%endif
/dev/loop*

My workaround is LC_ALL=C ...

So what I really want is a sort that sorts in "C" locale AND
programs  that talk in "de" to me ...