Re: memory leak ?

So I rebooted my machine in two different ways:

into runlevel 3
as `linux apm=off'

The problem I reported earlier still exists: it takes about 3 minutes
to log into my wolverine system in the morning.  The login time
increases to 5 minutes if I leave the box alone for an additional

Enormous amount of hard disk grinding accompanies this.  After the
initial login, it takes a mere 2 minutes to log in.  Here are some
times (I start the prog with

and when it started I just kill it by hand.  Not precise, but shows
the idea)

real	0m18.564s
user	0m0.190s
sys	0m0.180s

after reboot:

real  0m1.089s
user  0m0.340s
sys   0m0.160s

real	2m0.893s
user	0m1.210s
sys	0m0.210s

after reboot:

real  0m5.361s
user  0m1.370s
sys   0m0.230s

real	0m18.164s
user	0m0.400s
sys	0m0.060s

after reboot:

real	0m2.573s
user	0m0.690s
sys	0m0.030s

My system:

wolverine with kernel 2.4.1-0.1.14 and XFree86-4.0.2-11.

hardware: Athlon 600MHz; 128M RAM; nvidia vanta 16M;

I will try the rawhide kernel by tomorrow.

Mate Wierdl | Dept. of Math. Sciences | University of Memphis