Re: Question about Xfree 4.0.2 with intel i815

On 6 Mar 2001, Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:

>> Yep, the Intel i815 is unsupported by XFree86.
>
>This used to work, AFAIR.

For the record, my claim of i815 not being supported was not
unjust considering that I have never touched the hardware, and
even the latest up to date Status document from XFree86 which I
consider the official word doesn't mention it.  Here is a just
freshly checked out copy from the current trunk:

17.  Intel

      3.3.6:
            Support (accelerated) for the Intel i740 is provided by the
            XF86_SVGA server with the i740 driver, and for the Intel i810
            with the i810 driver.  The i810 is currently only supported on
            Linux, and requires the agpgart.o kernel module in order to use
            modes that require more than 1MB of video memory.

      4.0.2:
            Support (accelerated) for the Intel i740 is provided by the
            "i740" driver, and support for the Intel i810 is provided by the
            "i810" driver.  The "i810" driver is currently Linux-only, and
            requires the agpgart.o kernel module.

            only supported on Linux/x86 platforms at present.

So, short of owning an i815 and having tried it, or reading the
source code for the i810 driver, there is no way I could have
pulled this one out of the ether.  ;o)

I have contacted the devel team of XFree86 to update their
documentation, and I'll also be looking into the bug reports that
have been filed.

Sorry for any inconveniences.  ;o)