Re: Wolverine updates don't like Nvidia TNT2? addendum

Elton Woo wrote:

> Thomas Dodd wrote:

> > Are you sure the correct server and config file are being used?
>
> > This sounds like you use a XF86-3.3.x config tool and
> > are running XF86-4.0.x. Try removing teh X link, and all
> > the XF86Config* files in /etc/X11/, then run the config tool
> > again. I like xf86cfg, the RedHat tool is Xconfigurator.
>
>         I did a / several *clean* installs of Wolverine. As regards the code
> itself, I make it a habit *never* to install beta code over GA,
> so everything in the system is what is in Wolverine.

But wolverine includes XFree86-3.3.x for cards not supported in
XFree86-4.0.x yet if ever. The config tools can pick the wrong
version. And Red Hat uses a nonstandard /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
so you can have a 3.3.x and a 4.0.x config file at the same time.
Changing the /etc/X11/X link will switch between 3.3.x and 4.0.x.
They also have som mods to the GLX/Mesa code for compatibility.

> > Run the RedHat tool as:
> >   Xconfigurator --preferxf4 --nodri
> >
> > > Bite?  I personally take offense to that since it is XFree86
> > > which is what the comment is being made about really.
>
> > That's only the 3D part. The info for 2D drivers is out there.
> > My TNT2-M64 works fine with both drivers.
>
>         My card is the 3DForce B-32 plus (32 Mb) with
> the NVidia Rivam TNT-2M64 Accelerator.

Same as mine, except MSI built the PCB the chip is on :)

> > What kinds of changes are you talking about?
> >
> > I have no problems running my card in 1280x1024x32
> > mode. It really sounds like a config issue to me.
>
>         Before downloading the updates, I had my card
> configured at 1024 x 768 (24-bit). Though the Viewsonic

I guess I need to grab the newest RedHat XFree86 rpms
and try.

	-Thoams