Re: Back from locale hell ...

Alan Shutko wrote:

> Jim Wright <jwright penguincomputing com> writes:
>
> > Help me understand why it changed, why this is better, and how to
> > control this behavior.
>
> .seineew era srepoleved cbilG
>
> Just set LC_COLLATE=C and forget about it.

Why do I need to do this?  Why isn't this the default behavior?

Not having a sensible default for /bin/sort in recent RH distributions
has already broken two programs of mine that have been absolutely
stable for the past 5 years.  And the breaks were really obscure and
hard to find.

I am excited by i18n work in Linux, but I don't understand the need
to break previous default behaviors like this

--
John Ellson (ellson lucent com)  Lucent Technologies, Holmdel, NJ, 07733