Re: Back from locale hell ...

Matt Wilson wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 05:39:38PM -0500, John Ellson wrote:
> >
> > I am excited by i18n work in Linux, but I don't understand the need
> > to break previous default behaviors like this
> In cases where that default behavior is not standards compliant,
> they'll need to change at some point...

So which standard is the current default behavior of /bin/sort compliant with?
(And where in it does it say that <space> comes after "1" but before "2" ?)

I would be happy if the default behavior of /bin/sort
complied with the behavior of the LC_COLLATE=C standard.

> I don't have a clear picture on the full set of standards that
> document the various sorting behavior.  It's not easy reading material
> and there are a lot of things to consider.

Yes, like not breaking things!

> Cheers,
> Matt

John Ellson (ellson lucent com)  Lucent Technologies, Holmdel, NJ, 07733