Re: Back from locale hell ...

> but the default behavior is:
>
> 	$ sort colors
> 	skyblue1 135
> 	skyblue 135
> 	skyblue2 126
> 	skyblue3 108
>
> I don't even understand how the default behavior can be computed, let alone
> explain who it is useful for.   I can't see how it can be considered sorted in
> any locale!

It looks like it is treating space as a non-existent character.  Look
at it like this:

	skyblue1135
	skyblue135
	skyblue2126
	skyblue3108

Now it is "sorted".  I can dream up a model to fit the behavior, but
I can't fathom a rational explanation for it.  I'll take a look at the
URLs posted earlier and see if that helps.

Jim