more on locales: date and time

speaking of locales...

csh> env LC_TIME="de_CH" date
Fre Mär  9 09:11:05 CET 2001

this is gibberish, and not how we write dates in Germany or Switzerland.
Here is Solaris' way of doing it

Freitag,  9. März 2001, 09:25:12 Uhr MET

now, this is a date in proper German format.

I don't know enough about the current state of locales, and where the
current wolverine's format comes from, but it looks to me it's just
substituting German for English day and month names (but not the time zone)
and then mercilessly truncating them and printing them in the order
common in English. (Can I change the format used?)

Roman Maeder