Re: more on locales: date and time

On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, Roman Maeder wrote:

> speaking of locales...
>
> csh> env LC_TIME="de_CH" date
> Fre Mär  9 09:11:05 CET 2001
>
> this is gibberish, and not how we write dates in Germany or Switzerland.

 It's not how we write them in England, either, it's an abbreviated
form that is convenient for use in logs and for sorting as it is a
constant width.

 If you want the long form, type ``date +"%A, %e %B %Y, %X Uhr %Z"''
or badger the glibc maintainer(s) to change the defaults.

 But you'll break things.

--
Bill Crawford, Unix Systems Developer, GTS Netcom
work: bill ops netcom net uk, home: billc netcomuk co uk