Re: Back from locale hell ...

From: "Trond Eivind Glomsrød" <teg redhat com>

> On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, J. Dow wrote:
>
> > From: "Trond Eivind Glomsrød" <teg redhat com>
> >
> > > "C" isn't an option, as it's just a 7 bit standard - and the sorting
> > > doesn't make sense for anything but filenames.
> >
> > Trond, I strong disagree with you about the general behavior of a C sort
> > of sort extended to sort international characters in the same spirit. (It
> > should be.)
> > When case matters the sort behavior described on this list is
> > dead wrong and misleading.
>
> When case matters (and other attributes need addressing), this should be
> handled on the application level: The sort function does what it's asked
> to do by the program authors.

(Hm, I note now my original reply didn't go back to the Wolverine list as
I had intended.)

What this says is that the sort function provided is inadequate and broken.
There MUST be a proper locale based sort that extends the C sort to the
8 bit national character sets. (Whether these sets are proper to use or not
is moot. They ARE used.) There should also, of course, be unicode sorts for
those who need them. (These should be limited to the national character set
chosen rather than attempting the full possible set on an open ended set.)

{^_^}