Re: Updating to the Next Version of RedHat

Pieter De Wit wrote:

> Hello Guys and Girls,
>
> Since I have just joined the Redhat/Linux "clan" (from version 7.0 - still a
> newbie after reading a couple of msgs !) I was wondering if RedHat will make
> "full" updates avail. on up2date to the next version of Redhat.
>
> For Example :
>
> I'am currently running (in about 49mins :) Wolverine.
> Will there be updates on up2date to update me to say...RedHat 8.0 or the
> next beta that they release ?
> Have they done the same thing in the past or did everyone have to download
> the ISO's again ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pieter De Wit

As far as I know, there is no guarantee that you can upgrade from a beta
to a full release. It *should* work, but is not guaranteed. Also up2date
will not automatically upgrade you to a new release. It will only apply
the patches that you request to your curent version. (IE: you can't
install 6.2, use up2date and find 7.0 on your machine)

Chris Kloiber