Re: openssh, openssl, kernel, etc from rawhide and wolverine

Hello...

( two replies in one )

Matt_Domsch Dell com wrote:

>> w/ 1.5Gig ram (dell poweredge)
>> From:
>> vmlinux-2.4.1-0.1.9enterprise
>> vmlinux-2.4.2-0.1.19enterprise
>> vmlinux-2.4.2-0.1.25enterprise
>> each got faster :)
>

> Christopher, the enterprise kernel is only interesting if you've got >4GB
> RAM. Otherwise, the i686 UP or SMP kernels will support <= 4GB RAM. You'll
> probably see a performance increase running the SMP kernel as opposed to the
> enterprise kernel in your situation (no PAE support required). I'd be
> curious if you could run your benchmark that way and compare.

I tried it. About a 1% improvement. I have a crapy IBM server that needed the enterprise kernel for more than 1 gig ram. So I caried this concept through to the dell poweredge servers. Oops. Thanks

p.s. These poweredge machines (still) rock! The PowerVault fans are loud enough I had to move them away from people.