Re: wolverine kernel leaks

Trond,

I know enough about the memory, buffers, and cache to know that these
should not increase or decrease that much over a relatively long period
of time in an idle system.

When first booted, my system baseline according to top looks like this:

Mem:   513404K av,   34456K used,  478916K free,       0K shrd,    5492K
buff
Swap:  128512K av,       0K used,  128512K free                   15092K
cached

After 1 min uptime, mem used inches upward to 34460K.  When I switch to
VC2, log in, then log back out, mem used increases to 34488K and stays
that way indefinitely.  When I then log into VC2 and VC3 then log out,
mem used increases to 34508K.

It would seem that each time I spawn an application like a login, memory
is being allocated but not returned to the system when those
applications are terminated.

An application that makes heavy use of buffers is the ftp client. When I
log onto VC2 and connect to a neighbor Guinness system, mem used jumps
to 35520K with 15340K cached. When I start a put transfer toward the
Guinness system, the amount of memory cached jumps to about 63000K while
the mem used starts increasing by about 1,000K per second. After
transferring only 48,562,176 bytes, halting the transfer, and logging
off VC2, top shows mem used grows to 87328K. Ten minutes later the mem
used and cached haven't changed.

If you have a particular sequence you would like for me to run and
report the results, I'll be happy to try. Based on what I've seen and
reported here, until convinced otherwise (to borrow a phrase) I think
SOMETHING in wolverine leaks.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL