Re: wolverine and the openssl package

On Thursday 15 March 2001 14:01, you wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 01:32:34PM -0800, Hugo Carvalho wrote:
> > >
> > > That would require the openssl package to include shared libraries for
> > > all prior versions for the rest of time (now that's terrifying).  The
> >
> > not even a symbolic link?
>
> A symbolic link from .so.0 to .so.1 would be very bad.  The reason
> the soname is different is because the two libraries are not binary-

naturally.

but that's when binary compat is broken...

my current experience:

upgrading open to openssl-0.96
  provides libssl.so.1

several installed  packages require libssl.so.0

ok -> get updates for those packges that use libssl.so.1
found some
others didn't
example
kdevelop-1.4-5 uses libssl.so.0

ok -> get source and compile agains libssl.so.1
maybe I'm lucky and don't need to change code... just rebuild

great.
now what about packages I don't get source?

ok -> i'm toasted...

I might be missing something... and in that cas my apologies for such a long
email:)

but I believed taht the so.x scheme worked because whenever a new version
broke compat, a copy of the older version would be left behind...
is it?

after insalling all rawhide upgrades over wolverine kmail didnt work because
libssl.so.0 was missing
I did a sym link to libssl.so.1 and it worked... until it calls some func that
has changed in the new lib I guess...

my bad?

cheers,

hugo