Promise Ultra66

I have an Ultra66 conroller with a drive on the primary of each channel.

My CD is on the on-board IDE /dev/hdc.  There is also a hard disk on
hda, but it is not the default boot disk (set in bios).

The system boots Red Hat 7 from hda just fine, and Windows from hde.

When I boot the wolverine disc 1, it actually finds the drives on the
Promise controller (hde, hdg) but right after that the system hangs.
Nothing but a hard reset will bring it back.

This is different from booting the Red Hat 7 cd, which does not see
those drives at all.

I've read the Ultra DMA how-to, but still don't quite know how to make
this system boot from cd to run the installation.

If anyone has a tip, that would be great.

Thanks,
Eric