Problem with Compiled kernel

I tried to send this e-mail last night but I don't see it on the list yet.
Is there a time lag??

I have compiled a kernel (wolverine - version 2.4.1-0.1.19) and cannot get
a successful boot. There are 3 errors reported no matter what options I
configure in the kernel. They are displayed in the following snips of the
bootup messages:

-    sysctl: error: 'kernel.sysrq' is an unknown key
     rc.sysinit: Configuring kernel parameters:  failed

-     mount: mount: fs type usbdevfs not supported by kernel
      rc.sysinit: Mounting USB filesystem:  failed

-     sysctl: error: 'kernel.sysrq' is an unknown key
     network: Setting network parameters:  failed
     network: Bringing up interface lo:  succeeded
     ifup: Delaying eth0 initialization.
     network: Bringing up interface eth0:  failed

The rest of the services run successfully and I am able to login.

The prebuilt kernel from the iso images works fine and there are no errors
or failures.

Any ideas of what steps I am missing or if there is a problem with my
installation.

Thanks,
Terry McKinlay