Re: nfs install - where to place cds

Bret Hughes wrote:

> Eric Sandeen wrote:
>
> > Bret Hughes wrote:
> > >
> > > I found a reference to copying both cds to a single mounted nfs dir for
> > > an nfs install but no explanation of what that means.
> >
> > Basically, mount your disc 1 and copy the whole tree (cp -vaR
> > /mnt/cdrom/ /path/to/nfs/share), then copy all RPMS out of disc 2 into
> > the /path/to/nfs/share/RedHat/RPMS dir from the previous step.
> >
> > Then point your installer to nfshost:/path/to/nfs/share

A better(IMHO*) way to do this (using a script as pseudo-code only,
no stylistic promises or anything like that :-) is as follows:

#/bin/sh
noSRC=""	# set to non-null if you don't want SRPMs left around
TREE=/your/nfs/server/directory/i386	# or alpha, or ia64, or ...
MNT=/tmp/mnt
[ ! -d $MNT ] && mkdir $MNT
for ISO in foo-SRPMS.iso foo-disc2.iso foo-disc1.iso ; do
	mount -o loop $ISO $MNT || exit
	cd $MNT
	pax -rw * $TREE
	cd -
	umount $MNT
done
[ -n "$noSRC" ] && rm -rf $TREE/SRPMS
exit 0

* Let's NOT start a religous war about using pax-vs-tar/cpio, and let's
  try to avoid a discussion about stylistic system-administration
"nits".
  My points about this algorithm are:

	- the ISO images are mastered so that if you extract all of them
	  in the manner above, all the binary/noarch RPMs reside under
	  $TREE/RedHat/RPMS and all the source RPMs reside under
	  $TREE/SRPMS.  We've found that very handy when building RPMs
	  from source and being able to match sources and binaries in
	  a predictable fashion.

	- extracting the entire contents from CDs in the order specified
	  (SRPMS first, disc-1 *last*) leaves the disc-1 README in the
	  root of $TREE, puts *everything* on the server, etc.  IMO, the
	  README file on disc-1 is the "best" one to have in a tree.

	- $TREE will be set up properly for NFS/FTP/HTTP network installs
	  (assuming the server has the appropriate setup in /etc/exports)

	- it's always worked for us (the Red Hat Quality Assurance group)
	  and personally I've done/used this *hundreds* of times, so it's
	  a proven quantity

	- in this fashion (if you're really interested), you can use many
	  of the filesystem tools available for comparison between the
	  various trees; e.g.,

		# diff -r fisher/i386 wolverine/i386

	  ... yields a complete set of diffs for RPMs between the two public
	  betas for binary RPMs, etc.  We do the same for our daily tree
	  builds that we evaluate.

As always, YMMV.  I posted this note to explain how to set up a tree for
NFS installs, not to provide fodder for discussions of how (not) to go
about tasks of system administration or programming. [8=)]

Glen
| Glen A. Foster                      Red Hat, Inc. |
| 919.547-0012 x415                  www.redhat.com |