Terminal windows not working on Gnome

After the latest updates to wolverine, my gnome desktop will not display
the terminal windows.  The terminal icon still shows on the bottom menu bar
but clicking does nothing.  Also the menu bar representation of the virtual
desktops has disappeared -- I can still access the desktops by the pop-up
menus.

KDE is fine -- terminal windows open and are fine -- must be a gnome config
glitch somewhere.

Any ideas?