Re: Fisher?

Mike A. Harris writes:
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Drew Bertola wrote:
>
> >> 	[6] When in doubt, running code from rawhide will allow you
> >> 		access to better-running, more functional code than
> >> 		sticking with the "stock" beta-releases.
> >
> >Thanks for taking a moment to reply.
> >
> >I guess I can conclude that the updates directory under wolverine is
> >cosmetic.  Your point [6] seems to sum up the philosophy of the
> >rawhide tree.  I was under the impression that rawhide was much more
> >of a moving target than you imply.  That's what lead to my concern.  I
> >was afraid that a known problem in wolverine that should be fixed
> >using the "latest and greatest" package from rawhide would lead to a
> >whole bunch of beta testers with impossibly different sets of
> >packages.
>
> That doesn't much matter.  What does matter though is that people
> testing things are testing our latest things.  For example, if
> you tell me XFree86 in Wolverine has bug Y, I am very likely to
> tell you to upgrade to 4.0.3-3 and if the bug persists, to file a
> bug report (unless of course I'm sure it isn't fixed, in which
> case I'll tell you to file a defect report anyway).
>
> By using the stock Wolverine you are going to encounter several
> bugs in the distro, a lot of (possibly all?) which have been
> fixed ages ago.  The purpose of a Red Hat Linux beta is to allow
> the end user to try out our code so that unfixed bugs can be
> fixed.  By not keeping updated with rawhide, one may miss out on
> reporting a bug until the last second which is way too late.
>
> Just some food for thought.  All MHO of course.  ;O)

It does matter if rawhide moves quickly (though from reviewing the
directory it doesn't seem to change all that frequently).  My concern
was that for 10,000 wolverine testers, you would have 10,000 different
package sets.  That could be controlled by putting fixes in
wolverine/updates.  Since I now see that rawhide packages seem to only
be updated after internal testing and only when required (thus less
frequently than once a week, say), my point is more or less moot.

--
Drew Bertola  | Send a text message to my pager or cell ...