Question about /home/httpd move

I noticed this in the 7.0 release notes:

    o Other Filesystem Changes -- Red Hat Linux 7.0 also includes other
      changes to the directory structure:

          /home/httpd is now /var/www
          /home/ftp is now /var/ftp

      (This makes it possible to automount /home without web or FTP
      activity keeping it mounted.)

I don't understand what this means.  What I had done is
in /etc/auto.home:

ftp		localhost:/disk1/ftp
httpd		localhost:/disk1/httpd

I don't see why the above is any better.