Re: Optimal size of swap in 2.4.x? 2xRAM? (Was: Re: 2.4.x swapsizing)

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 dsavage peaknet net wrote:

> Even on a workstation with what should have been a generous amount of swap (128M
> partition), I have just recently discovered how easy it is to blow up a
> wolverine system with 512M of RAM.  For the past few days I've been struggling
> with an extremely large (110 MB) text file (an Ethereal capture) using vi and
> making a few search & replace passes through it. Unless I write and exit
> frequently (every 2-3 passes), it will lock up without warning. I've added three
> 128M swap files, but this just postpones the inevitable collapse.

 This is a prime candidate for using ``sed'' or ``perl -npi~ -e "s#old#new#"''

> [I transfered the file to a Win98 machine with 128M and tried the same S&R with
> Word2000. That blew up too, after first bleeding away over 3 GB of what had been
> free disk space!]

 HA HA HA HA!!
 ALL YOUR DISK SPACE ARE BELONG TO US!

--
Bill Crawford, Unix Systems Developer, GTS Netcom
work: bill ops netcom net uk, home: billc netcomuk co uk