Re: Nvidia drivers

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 03:02:53PM -0500, Sadler, Jeffrey M. wrote:
> Heh, "the best" is not possible right now. I already spent my $185 for this
> card. (it was supposed to be supported in linux...8^(   )  Can I edit
> something in the directory that the tar.gz created to work around this??
>
> Jeff Sadler
>
> PS: Or I could take up a collection for another 3d-accelerated card that is
> supported.  <smiles>

I think the quick fix would be to m ake sure that /usr/include/linux points
into the actual kernel sources and running kernel you have on your system.
I think buildiung and installing a new kernel ensures this happens.
I've been able to build their kernel module with no problem under RH 6.2
and RH 7.0.90 (fisher/wolverine).  I'd be happy to help you debug this off
the mailing list-

nvidia isn't going to release the specifications for their cards so that
xfree can write a driver.  xfree added the necessary stuff so that nvidia
can ship a binary driver.  I've used it and it works fine for me, I'm
quite happy with it.  I can't say I'm thrilled with not having the source
code to the driver, but this is a case where I'm able to get my work done
faster (at least in the short term) and I value that a bit more than having
the open source for the driver.  Now, if somebody else comes up with a card
that equals that performance for a lower price, and has an open source driver,
I'm all for it.