Re: Nvidia drivers

On 30 Mar 2001, nbecker fred net wrote:

> -probeonly spits out a list of unresolved symbols.  I believe this is
> with a clean RH7.0 X installation (not updated).  Yes, I know some
> other people have it working.  My guess is it's dependent on the
> Xconfig setup.

Yes, you need to tell X to use the 'nvidia' driver instead of the XF86
'nv' one. Did you read the installation and setup instructions?

I got it working in the end. You need to rebuild the Nvidia source rpm,
install that, plus the GLX module rpm. I've got KDE 2.1.1 and XF86 4.0.3
here, and it does make a big difference in performance.

> But wait, there's more!  Oh, you wanted to try the new AA fonts?  Too
> bad!  The nvidia server doesn't have the RENDER option.

Yes, it does:

number of extensions:    30
    BIG-REQUESTS
    DOUBLE-BUFFER
    DPMS
    Extended-Visual-Information
    FontCache
    GLX
    LBX
    MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    MIT-SHM
    MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
    NV-GLX
    NVIDIA-GLX
    RECORD
    RENDER
    SECURITY
    SHAPE
    SYNC
    TOG-CUP
    X3D-PEX
    XC-APPGROUP
    XC-MISC
    XFree86-Bigfont
    XFree86-DGA
    XFree86-Misc
    XFree86-VidModeExtension
    XIE
    XInputExtension
    XKEYBOARD
    XTEST
    XVideo

> Oh, BTW, trying to install, test, uninstall the driver is hazardous.
> Besides screwing around with renaming some GL libs, you also
> (according to nvidia's instructions) need to change some options in
> your xconfig.  Installing the NVIDIA_GL package will move the old GL
> libs - but after it doesn't work and you need to uninstall it I think
> you have to fix things manually.

Not so bad... it renames two Mesa GL libs to xxx.libGL.x.x.RPMSAVE. Easy
enough to spot and change.

As for XF86Config, you need to edit it in order to use the nvidia driver
(by replacing 'nv' with 'nvidia') as well as comment out the GLCore and
DRI modules. No big thing to restore either.

--
Regards,

Juha

PGP fingerprint:
B7E1 CC52 5FCA 9756 B502  10C8 4CD8 B066 12F3 9544