Re: TMS: Feedback summary so far

According to Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com>:

> Darin Adler <darin bentspoon com> writes:
> > I've worked a lot with file systems that are not infinite in length like the
> > Unix ones. The file systems I've used in the past have had 255 character
> > limits and 31 character limits on file names. That's one reason I "worry"
> > about these things a bit.
>
> UNIX (or at least some UNIX) has a limit too. PATH_MAX, right?

This is a limit in API, and if I remember correctly PATH_MAX is the hard
limit to filenames (with no path).

As for Darin limitation, I must say that the 31 is the hard limit for
filename on HFS (MacOS filesystem and APIs).
On the other side Windows has a limit to 255 for filenames (in filesystem:
hard limit) and 256 for PATH.... (in API)
Just to provide a few examples.

Hub