Re: base directory spec

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 11:45:36PM +0100, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > Reading this spec, I have a question - it seems to deal with
> > $(datadir) only. How does it apply/work when we have $(sysconfdir)
> > involved, as in the menu configuration?
>
> Good question, in KDE we don't use sysconfdir by default, so I didn't think of
> it but it might just work if we change
>
> "If $DESKTOP_DIRS is not defined a value equal to $DESKTOP_HOME:$DESKTOP_DIR
> should be used."

> "If $DESKTOP_DIRS is not defined a value equal to
> $DESKTOP_HOME:/etc/X11/desktop:$DESKTOP_DIR should be used"

So here is how I think it should work:

 - DESKTOP_DIRS lists "prefix" values (e.g. /usr)

 - We normally search ~/.desktop/share/foo, then DESKTOP_DIRS/share/foo,
   then installprefix/share/foo

 - to avoid ~/.desktop/etc which is kind of strange,
   stuff in /etc/X11/desktop goes right under ~/.desktop,
   so for example ~/.desktop/menus maps to /etc/X11/desktop/menus

So we have e.g.:

 ~/.desktop/share/applications
 ~/.desktop/menus/applications.menu
 /usr/share/applications/
 /etc/X11/desktop/menus/applications.menu

Hmm.

The special-case for /etc is kind of funny - maybe we should just have
~/.desktop/etc/ and be done with it?

There are also plugins and things to worry about, in libdir.  So for
example if you install a personal theme engine, perhaps it should go
in ~/.desktop/lib/theme-engines/foo.so, or whatever. Assuming we had a
cross-desktop theme engine thing. (Which makes no sense, so ignore the
theme engine example - but "some kind of shared object" ;-))

Havoc