An idea for application installation

My proposition may be naive but, well, I try anyway.

I had an idea to ease installation of end-user apps such as multimedia
players, games or anything not system-related. My idea is to provide a
way to make it possible (and easy) to add/remove an app without ROOT
access. It's just an idea for the moment but if nobody sees a good
reason why it couldn't/should'nt be done, I would start working on it
more seriously.

Here's my proposition:

Developers bundle the binary and all the (uncommon) necessary libs in a
tgz archive. The tgz file should contain a "bin" directory and a "lib"
directory. This tgz archive should also contain a "meta.xml" file
containing infos like the icon file, the entry in the menu etc...
The tgz file should be called, for example, myapp.pak.

Then, we create an installer that will handle those ".pak" archives. It
should de-tar the archive in /tmp and look for the meta.xml file.
Then it should create a "myapp" folder in ~/, add an icon on the
desktop, add an entry in the menu and (the most important part), add the
path to the "bin" and to the "lib" directories in the user's path (in a
permanent way).

The app would be installed for the user. It could then be de-installed
by removing the ~/myapp folder.

When you re-start your GNOME/KDE/whatever session, it should look for
broken links in the menu/desktop and remove them so that the removed
apps totally disappear from the user's system.

Is it technically feasible without modifying UNIX bases ? If yes, I'd be
glad to help in such a project.