Re: [menus] pending issues

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 06:34:06PM +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:
> What about entries that are deleted/moved, then their .desktop file disappears
> (ie it's uninstalled). Is there any specified system for eliminating "dead"
> entries in this way? Otherwise menu definition cruft would accumulate. Oh - this one
> also bit me in a way I wasn't expecting: I installed our foobar test app, the menu
> entry appeared, deleted it from the menu then uninstalled the app. OK. Reinstall the
> app, and of course the menu entry doesn't appear. Although it could be argued it's
> better to persist move/delete changes between installations, users conventional wisdom
> says that when you install an app a menu entry appears regardless of what might have
> been done before - if anything, "reinstall the app" is a common tech support answer so
> it'd be bad to have things magically remembered between sessions in that way.

Hmmm, one idea to solve this would be perhaps to add the .desktop file
timestamp to the xml element that "deletes" (hides) the icon.  Then ignore
this element if the timestamp in the element is older then the file
timestamp.  Problem with this is that this would mean that if the sysadmin
hand-edits a .desktop file, it would suddenly reappear in the users menus.

Another possible solution is for the .desktop file installer thingie (and
thus package managers) to just generate a random cookie as part of the
.desktop filename and install it as such.  So for example first time a
.desktop could be installed as:
and the second time as:

Both ideas seem kind of hackish.  But that thought (deleted files) has not
occured to me.

If you do garbage collection of old xml elements on startup and when the
actual .desktop disappears during runtime (that is, we would forget about the
old xml element that "deletes" it), then we have a halfway decent solution
for single user desktop systems.  That is, if the user is logged on when he
reinstalls the software, the "deleted" xml element would be killed right
after he does an uninstall, and the icon would appear again.  However if a
sysadmin does this while the user is not logged in, then the user's setting
about the icon doesn't change.

> I'm just a random stranger dropping on by, but I'd vote no to this. If admins are
> going to lock down menu structures, it's probably as part of a managed LAN deployment
> in which case the menu locks will be in place before the users start using the system.
> If the parts of the menus suddenly vanish because a user accidentally enabled "Admin lock
> mode" or something, that could cause issues - I clicked this button to see what it did, and
> now random menu entries have disappeared!

Admin lock mode shouldn't really be something that a random joe user easily
finds and clicks on.  It should be only in some advanced gui for advanced
setups if in a gui at all.  IMO.

George <jirka 5z com>
   History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
                       -- Winston Churchill