Re: Porting toolkit and using specs from freedesktop

On Thursday 26 December 2002 11:33, vze2mwj7 verizon net wrote:
> Hi,
> I am porting a new toolkit to linux/X11
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/vcf) and I am wondering about some of the
> Extended Window Manager Hints that are documented on the freedesktop.org
> site. Are these hints already in place in other WMs? Should i take
> advantage of them in writing my X11 code in my toolkit? Or is this more a
> preliminary spec?
>
> Are there any good samples of code available that use these hints?

You should attempt to use the ewmh however you should also fallback to
existing ICCCM behavior if the wm does not honor your requests.

wm support for this is growing.  The main GNOME and KDE wms support it and
many other non desktop oriented wms do as well.  At the moment everyone's
support is slightly different but for the most part things work well.