Re: Recent Files Specification Proposal

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 11:17:35PM -0500, James Willcox wrote:
> http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~jwillcox/recent-file-spec.html

A few suggestions and questions

- Place new files at the end rather than the start of the file so that
  the entire thing only needs to be rewritten when the list over

- Store url, mime type, and application that opened the file.  In
  some cases an app may not always support the same mime types in
  every invocation.  It might be nice to allow filtering by app
  rather than just mime type.

- Possibly time stamp it too.

- Do we have privacy concerns about the history file ?
  At a minimum it should be 0600 and owned by the user.

- From a larger perspective this type of mechanism would also be
  useful for recently visited urls in a browser, and recently
  emailed addresses from a mailer.  I mention both because they are
  useful from things like
    'insert link'
  where it is nice to have be able to access that type of history.
  Mozilla and Evolution probably both have similar mechanisms.
  Storing all accesses in 1 location seems unwieldy.  Do we need an
  ability to merge things from different sources ?