Re: Recent Files Specification Proposal

On Sat, 2002-07-13 at 00:02, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 11:17:35PM -0500, James Willcox wrote:
> > http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~jwillcox/recent-file-spec.html
> A few suggestions and questions
> - Place new files at the end rather than the start of the file so that
>   the entire thing only needs to be rewritten when the list over
>   flows.
That sounds sensible.

> - Store url, mime type, and application that opened the file.  In
>   some cases an app may not always support the same mime types in
>   every invocation.  It might be nice to allow filtering by app
>   rather than just mime type.
If the app supports different mime types in different invocations, it
would simply filter the list differently.  There still may be other
reasons to put the app name in though.

> - Possibly time stamp it too.
> - Do we have privacy concerns about the history file ?
>   At a minimum it should be 0600 and owned by the user.

Yeah, good idea.

> - From a larger perspective this type of mechanism would also be
>   useful for recently visited urls in a browser, and recently
>   emailed addresses from a mailer.  I mention both because they are
>   useful from things like
>     'insert link'
>   where it is nice to have be able to access that type of history.
>   Mozilla and Evolution probably both have similar mechanisms.
>   Storing all accesses in 1 location seems unwieldy.  Do we need an
>   ability to merge things from different sources ?

Having that sort of ability would certainly be nice.  If we time stamped
the entries, we could merge different sources.  However, I think
organizing the different files may be cumbersome.  Do we have different
files for each mime type, each app, each URI scheme, or what?