Re: VFolder 1.5 category (and .desktop spec) comments

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 12:49:33PM +0200, Kai Wetzel wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 July 2002 22:29, George wrote:
> > > These additional ones would help replace hints being used in Debian:
> > >
> > > - Browser (i.e. HTTP or multiple protocols)
>
> I'd suggest to call this category "WebBrowser" (or "WWWBrowser" or
> "HypertextBrowser", whatever) because "Browser" is too generic,
> similar to using "TextEditor" instead of "Editor" (network (topology)
> browsers are browsers as well)

Oh yeah, I'm changing it to WebBrowser in my copy.

(Note I will go through most of this mail later I don't have so much time
right now, I have lots of stuff to go through ... thanks for such a full
list.  So I'll reply to this mail again when I've gone through it all and
added relevant categories to the spec.  :)

> I'm not quite satisfied with Tools/Utilities (but waiting for 1.6) since my
> first associations were:
> Tools : "Ximian Setup Tools"
> Utilities : "Norton Utilities"
> whereas I'd put a calculator into "Accessories" or similar...

Well, Utility is really used for small utility programs rather then the broad
Tools/Utilities that seems to be used in debian.  As in more like the current
Utilities menu in GNOME.  I think further refinement may be neccessary here.

> I suggest renaming "Core" to "Base" or so (dumped core ?)

Well that may be nicer, but in the end it doesn't really matter.  I'd rather
avoid changing existing keywords if possible so that the current
implementations (GNOME2 only I think) don't have to be redone.

> I would suggest to give some context for each category:
> - what other categoryies are usually included (recommended)
> - what other categories should be considered to go along (optional)
>
> Example:
> Presentation  (Application;[Office];[Graphics])
> WebBrowser (Application;Network)

This is good idea, I think I will try to add this to the spec before I post
v1.6

> Maybe set up a mailing list where application authors could send
> their .desktop files for review to have more consistent categorization ?

Perhaps, something on freedesktop.org I suppose.  Would also be good for
checking if things follow the whole .desktop spec in fact.  Havoc?

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.