Re: New MIME release

On Sun, Jul 28, 2002 at 01:38:05PM +0200, Filip Van Raemdonck wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 12:26:53PM +0100, Thomas Leonard wrote:
> > Certainly, no user should ever be editing the files in /usr/share/mime.
> > That's for Debian packages only. We could indeed add /etc/mime to the
> > list...
> Rereading the section about user preferences again, I'd rather go for the
> Override.xml approach.
> I also think that section could use a bit different wording. Something along
> the lines of the attached patch. That would make it more clear that the SMI
> database (or any other mime description file, provided by whatever program)
> is not meant to be configurable.

OK, I've applied the patch.

> Also, I'm not sure if the part describing the use of the mime database to
> tell which programs can open what mime type belongs in that section.
> Shouldn't that rather go in the section describing what the xml files are?

Probably. In fact, we need to agree on a common elements for "<type> files
can be <viewed> by <application>"; only "Galeon is the GNOME default for
text/html" needs the GNOME namespace.

[ priorities within a directory ]

> > Yes, there aren't any rules for this. In fact, update-mime-database sorts
> > the files to ensure that the output is stable accross multiple runs, but
> > that isn't documented. I don't think there's any advantage to specifying
> > an order, unless we want packages fighting with each other.
> That's obviously undesirable, but it'll happen anyway. Assume I'm installing
> both koffice and abiword. Both install a file describing a word document
> into /usr/local/share/mime, but with a different comment. Which will I see?

koffice's. But I don't see any point in specifying that explicitly, since
the only thing the abiword people could do with that information is rename
their package to zzz_abiword, which is obviously the wrong solution.

> Or they don't agree about the magic.

The order of the magic doesn't matter, as long as they both go the same
type (either may match). The only problem is if different types both match
(eg, kword files and gzip files), but authors must use the priority
attribute for that since kword might be in /usr and gzip in /usr/local (so
gzip takes precence by default).

I don't think there's any case where knowing the rules used by
update-mime-database is useful to anyone... there isn't any reason why
abiword needs to say "My description is more important than KWord's"...

Thomas Leonard			http://rox.sourceforge.net
tal00r ecs soton ac uk		tal197 users sourceforge net