Re: Lists in .desktop files

On Tuesday 30 July 2002 01:10, George wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 12:44:57AM +0200, Gioele Barabucci wrote:
> > The desktop file spec do not specify a delimiter for lists. This has led to
> > different implementation (semicolons vs commas).
> > Example:
> >   Patterns=*.ogg;*.wav
> >   MimeType=application/x-ogg,audio/wave
> >
> > Can the authors please fix this problem?
> > You simply need to state <<The standard delimiters for list is [semicolon?
> > comma?]. Backward compatibility issues must be taken into account from file
> > parsers.>> in the spec...
> AFAIK the spec specifies the delimiter for the type STRINGS to be a semicolon
> and the delimiter should also be at the end of the list

Right. Probably because KDE1 did it that way.

But in KDE 2 & 3:
* the trailing separator isn't necessary anymore
* fields where the spec mandates ';' do use ';', but:
* like any list in a config file, any other field (like ServiceTypes, or
X-KDE-Something) uses a comma as separator.

This is quite a mess (although it all works fine, it's quite confusing).

My question is: what does e.g. gnome do?
(especially concerning its own fields, those not in the spec?)

- --
David FAURE, david mandrakesoft com, faure kde org
KOffice 1.2 RC1 is slightly delayed. Stay tuned.
Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)