Re: [Annoyances] X-Windows Copy & Paste

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 23:29, John Meacham wrote:
> independent of the UI concerns, the main thing I wanted to make clear
> was that in order to be able to be a good cut-n-paste citizen, an app
> must make available some mechanism to set CLIPBOARD, not just PRIMARY.

I think no one will argue against that

Some people, including me, only want to have the CLIPBOARD change as an
additonal thing.
Pure selection should leave the CLIPBOARD content untouched.

> the main reason I included having selection set CLIPBOARD as well in
> xterm was that it was the easiest to implement in an Xresource change,
> and did not require any change in the percieveh user interface.
> adding copy/paste menu items to the ctrl-click menu's in xterm would be
> another, better solution. the main point was that the current situation
> where it only has the capability to set PRIMARY is unacceptable.

I think such a menu would be a very good place to have those explizit
actions.
A lot of users look into the context menu first when searching for copy
actions for the text the just selected.

> ensuring all apps have the ability (in some fashion, not necisarily by
> just mouse selection) to set CLIPBOARD means that people can get by
> with just the copy/paste menu items when available, this would be quite
> nice for those migrating from the windows world who should not have to
> learn about middle-click. the presence of apps which only have the
> ability to set PRIMARY means that the mouse-middle-click becomes a
> manditory skill, rather than a optional shortcut.

Yes, agreed.
My only concern was that selecting changes CLIPBOARD slientlym without
requiring additonal user action.
This is just not acceptable, any kind of additonal user interaction would
be ok, the closer to "standards" the better.

Cheers,
Kevin

Kevin Krammer <kevin krammer gmx at>
Developer at the Kmud Project http://www.kmud.de/