Re: CD Burning Library

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 10:19:33PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Ben Jansens (xor orodu net) said:
> > I'm currently involved in a project to make an open source CD burning
> > library. The library will provide powerful and convenient access to cdrom/rw
> > drives.
> >
> > We would like to host the project at freedesktop.org, as we hope to improve
> > the desktop cd burning software across all open source desktops. Would this be
> > possible?
>
> This is something that hits a lot of different projects, actually.

The more the merrier!

> You'd want to link into the HAL for the device identification parts,
> and are you planning on re-implementing all the burning code, or just
> tying into cdrecord?

We are fully intending to use the HAL for finding devices. Currently we
enumerate over some nodes in /dev, but that will be changing.

We have no intention of being associated with cdrecord, and are really
aiming to replace its functionality for free desktop systems.

Cheers,
Ben