Re: An idea for integrating Unix filesystem and GUI

Guido Draheim wrote:

> Frankly, it's a short sighted attempt.

Well, no. It's a first attempt. He has a good idea and it needs some polish and discussion before it can be truly workable for a large number of people.

My target is not Microsoft here. Imitating them isn't always the best thing to do. They have had far more spectacular failures over the years than successes, and I don't believe that blind imitation is a good idea. My concern is solely for the OS desktop itself.

Microsoft's idea of making the file system into a database is risky. Users might not like it. Novices can have a very hard time understanding and maintaining databases. What if I put something into it and then can't remember the attributes needed to retrieve it? I'll come looking for the programmer with a bat, that's for sure.

James' idea is simple and already familiar to most users. It's closer to Apple's scheme as far as I can tell, and Apple traditionally does very good computer-human interfaces. This would make a nice back up plan to any grandiose everything-is-a-database plan. If Microsoft's big plan fails, they still have a pretty decent file browser to fall back on. I don't see that OS has the same fall back capability. It would be good to not abandon working technology until the replacement is proven in the field and well accepted by all users.

I'd say let people work on it if they feel the have the time, it can't hurt, and it might be very useful in the long run.

My 2 cents.