Contacts and Calendars Standard

Out of a discussion on gnomedesktop.org I wanted to get people's opinions
on a standard format and location for contacts and calendars.

To me it would seem like vCard and iCalendar would be the logical choices
for formats.

As for locations I was thinking:

~/.contacts/CategoryName.vcf
~/.calendars/CalendarName.ics

We could even do local mailboxes the same way.  In mbox format at
~/.mail/MailboxName.mbox

This would allow users to access the same data regardless of which desktop
they logged in to.  And these formats are commonly supported formats which
would make it easy to import and export them.

Questions?  Comments?  Snide remarks?

Dan