Re: Xdg-list digest, Vol 1 #432 - 11 msgs

On Wednesday 23 July 2003 06:43, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> Do you actually have a proposal for something better?

Yes - what about splitting glib? IMHO it's fine to have a lib that provides
linked lists and other containers, for C programs and libraries (if it is indeed
proven that low-level libraries like Xr, freetype or Xft will want to use it).

But declaring as "standard" a library that patches up an incomplete home-made object
concept on top of a language that doesn't support objects, is nonsense: if people
want to use objects, they have a real OO programming language for that: C++.

Between this and the "LSB wants to standardize on GTK" news, it's a bit difficult
not to see political agendas being pushed.... Can we stick to the old status quo
instead of trying to push our technical solutions as "standard"? I am starting
to think that the old way worked much better for this list: we discussed shared
specs, not shared code, and there was no such heated debate.

PS: I do not speak for Trolltech despite my (possibly misleading) e-mail address,
I am writing this as a KDE developer.