Re: Xdg-list digest, Vol 1 #441 - 14 msgs

> From: David Faure <dfaure trolltech com>
> Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 12:19:47 +0200
>
> But declaring as "standard" a library that patches up an incomplete home-made object
> concept on top of a language that doesn't support objects, is nonsense: if people
> want to use objects, they have a real OO programming language for that: C++.

Uhh, this is another political opinion.

I wrote a large (the first, actually) web-based airline reservation
system in C++,  even used STL for a chunk of it.  There's a certain
fondness in my heart for C++, but, well, I find that the world
of C with 'homebrew' objects is actually, umm, prefereable, for
most things that I find I work on.   C++ doesn't really give me
the things I need/want out of OO: signals, persistance, marshalling,
dynamic-any, introspection, object factories, etc. etc.   The glib
gobjects sort-of do, I suppose the jury is out, though.

So please don't be a C++ biggot, C is perfectly good for OO, and even
better in certain psychological ways. More freedom.  Besides, I thought
that everyone knew that scheme was the best langauge in the world  :-)

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas linas org>