Re: Xdg-list digest, Vol 1 #432 - 11 msgs

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 12:19:47PM +0200, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 July 2003 06:43, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> > Do you actually have a proposal for something better?
> Yes - what about splitting glib? IMHO it's fine to have a lib that provides
> linked lists and other containers, for C programs and libraries (if it is indeed
> proven that low-level libraries like Xr, freetype or Xft will want to use it).
> But declaring as "standard" a library that patches up an incomplete home-made object
> concept on top of a language that doesn't support objects, is nonsense: if people
> want to use objects, they have a real OO programming language for that: C++.

You could, of course, argue that C++ isn't real OO, and that everyone should be
using Java. ;)

> Between this and the "LSB wants to standardize on GTK" news, it's a bit difficult
> not to see political agendas being pushed.... Can we stick to the old status quo
> instead of trying to push our technical solutions as "standard"? I am starting
> to think that the old way worked much better for this list: we discussed shared
> specs, not shared code, and there was no such heated debate.

It's only really political if you make it so. C seems to be the lowest common
denominator, so as much as I'd like to see everything done nicely in C++, I
doubt htat's going to happen, so I'm happy to standardize on a toolkit which
does a decent job of doing everything in C.

> PS: I do not speak for Trolltech despite my (possibly misleading) e-mail address,
> I am writing this as a KDE developer.

I'm writing this as a person who used to hack on KDE for a while.

Daniel Stone                                              <daniel fooishbar org>
http://www.kde.org - http://www.debian.org - http://www.xwin.org
"Configurability is always the best choice when it's pretty simple to implement"
  -- Havoc Pennington, gnome-list